- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 8-12 hrs fermentation plus 1hr refrigeration
- a2 Milk™ Full cream milk powder
- Sachet powdered yoghurt starter culture, follow per pack instructions
- Electric or thermos style yoghurt maker with a jar or container(s)
- In a jug, prepare 1L of a2 Milk ™ Full cream milk powder following pack instructions, warm water at around 40°C works best.
- Sprinkle the powdered yoghurt starter culture into the milk, stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a clean jar or container(s) and follow the specific instructions provided with the yoghurt maker.
- Leave undisturbed for 8-12 hours, or overnight.
- Once set, place in the fridge for around 1 hour or until cool.
- To serve, drizzle with a little honey, cinnamon, vanilla, chopped fruit or homemade fruit puree for natural sweetness. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to enjoy with savoury dishes.
Yoghurt can also be made using fresh a2 Milk™ Full cream. If using fresh a2 Milk™, pour 1L of milk into the saucepan and gently heat to 45°C (use a thermometer).
The taste and texture of the yoghurt will vary depending upon the type of milk (powder or fresh, full fat or low-fat), the starter culture and yoghurt maker.
Using a2 Milk™ Full cream milk powder will produce a thicker, creamier yoghurt.
If a low-fat option Is preferred, a2 Milk™ Light or a2 Milk™ Skim milk powder may be used. Try adding an extra 2-4 tablespoons of a2 Milk™ Skim milk powder to boost the energy and protein content and increase thickness.
Save 1/2 cup of your homemade yoghurt to use as the starter culture for your next batch.