- 8 hours, 5 mins
- Cooking time
- 2 cups
- a2 Milk™ Full cream
- 1⁄10 tsp
- powdered kefir starter culture purchased online
- You’ll need two sterilised airtight glass jars with lids.
This recipe uses powdered kefir starter culture, which means there’s no need to strain your kefir before drinking it!
For a flavoured kefir add ½ cup of fresh or frozen berries to the jar of kefir. Stir, seal the lid and begin a second ferment, leaving the berry kefir at room temperature for a further 8 hours. Once you’re happy with the taste, chill in the fridge before serving.
For a fizzy kefir, seal the lid tightly. For a still kefir, seal the lid loosely.
- Pour the milk into a glass jar and sprinkle in the starter culture. Whisk the starter culture into the milk until dissolved.
- Seal the lid and leave at room temperature out of direct sunlight for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, stir the kefir and taste. If you would like the kefir to be a little thicker, leave for a further 4-8 hours.
- Once the kefir has reached your desired consistency and taste, transfer to an airtight glass container and chill in the fridge before serving. Your kefir will last in the fridge for 7-10 days.